Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Mrs. Lovett's Harmonium

For the past two months, I've been working on props for my college's production of Sweeney Todd: the Demon Barber of Fleet Street (the rest of my stuff for the show can be found here). One of the largest projectsI worked on was building Mrs. Lovett's harmonium.

The first step was the basic construction. Going off of Tim's blueprints, the basic frame was built. Any holes or staples were covered with spackle, and the rough edges were sanded down.




At this point, you can see the sides have holes in them. They'll get capped later on.

Once the basics were done, I applied a base coat of paint to all but the sides.


At this point, we needed to shape the base to make legs. Step one? Removing the base entirely. The small slats in the unpainted area are used to help support the body of the harmonium.


After flipping over the base, I traced and becan to cut out part of the base.


Once finished, I nailed in some more supports to help strengthen the base.



After placing the bse back on, I put a base coat on the new areas and spackled any missed areas.


After the sides were capped, the entire piece was base-coated to perfection!


Finally, it's on to the fun painting.

Well, not yet, but soon! First, I painted a base brown coat. It's kind of hard to differentiate it from the base coat.


Now for the fun painting! Using a textured mix, I was able to give it an authentic glossy wood look.



Then came weathering. The harmonium supposedly came from the remains of a burned church, so we needed it to look as though it had lived through a fire.


This was a very fun build. I can't wait to take on another project!

No comments:

Post a Comment